Friday, May 6, 2011

First of many

Last night we had our first home visit as foster parents with foster kids in the home.  It went well I think. 

A few things come to mind that did not go very well!  One is my dogs.  They love to bark.  When the social worker first got to our home I quick grabbed up the dogs, and slipped them in the backyard.  After about ten minutes of them barking outside, Joe let them in.  I would have liked to just keep them out.  As soon as they came in Hero ran to sniff the stranger in the house, and Baxter stood back and barked at her.  Once Baxter found that she was fine he jumped right up into her lap even though she had paperwork in her hands and on her lap.  I tried to get him down, and I apologized.  She said it was ok, and that she likes dogs.  My dogs have NO manners though, and I am always embarrassed when we have new people over! 
The other small issue was not our foster children, but our own child!  He was running around like a wild man!  First he had no shirt on, only a onesie and jeans, because I gave him chocolate milk for the first time and he spilled some on his shirt right before the SW came over.  Then he was running from room to room, plowing into me and Joe, standing up to the window banging on the glass, picking up random things and throwing them, and just being nuts!  I know 16 month olds can be unpredictable, but he had gone off the deep end!  lol I don't think the social worker noticed though, as she mostly had her nose in her papers. 
I talked a lot and Joe said very little, which is always how our conversations go.  I tried to include him more at one point, but I don't think he was expecting me to turn the social workers questions toward him.  He handled it just fine though. 
Once we were done with our part the social worker look around the house with the kids.  She asked to see where they sleep and looked at some of their toys.  Nothing real en depth, just a glance around. 
She said she will be back about once a month, so I guess we will see her again soon!

When we did our foster care training they told us that there would be a lot of people involved and that our house would have a swinging door.  Well, they were not kidding.  We have a person that comes everyone week to spend time with the kids.  Their social worker will be coming at lest once a month, and today I got a call from their lawyer.  She will be coming over next week to check things out.  All these visits and they have only been here two week!

No comments:

Post a Comment