I got a call last weekend from my boss, asking how Alex and I were feeling. We were fine, but it turned out that the 2 year old that I nanny had come down with the flu. This was on Friday night so we all thought it would be fine for Alex and I to come to work on Monday. When we got there first thing in the morning everyone came running to tell me that the 4 year old had now gotten the flu, and was up all night getting sick. I was pretty worried, but thought we might skate by because her dad (who was also not feeling well) was going to stay home and the two of them just slept all day. We made it two days, and then it hit. Joe got up around midnight to let the dogs out, when he heard Alex stirring in his bed. He went in to check on him and found that he was wet. While he was changing him (thinking it was spit up) I woke up and went in to see what was going on. I turned the lamp on and found puke everywhere. Once we got him and his bed all cleaning up, I sat down to rock him, and that was the first time he threw up on me. Once we got cleaned up again I put him back in his bed, and I slept on the couch, because I was worried I wouldn't hear him from the monitor because I had not hear him the first time. He ended up getting sick two more times in the night, but by morning he seemed as happy as could be. Being a first time mom I was not really sure how to start the day so I gave him his normal 6 ounce bottle and as soon as he finished the whole the he gave it right back to me! At that point I called the doctor to see what I should be doing instead. That day Alex and I had a laid back day at home and he was doing well.

We went back to work on Thursday, and other than a BIG blow out right after we got there we had a good day. That night at midnight it struck again, only this time it was my turn. I kept tossing and turning in bed, I would get up and race to the bathroom only to sit there freezing, so I ended up bring the trash can to bed with me, and it was a good thing I did! From midnight until 5am I was getting sick about every 20 minutes. It was the worst night of my life. On top of that there was no way my husband could take the day off so I had to figure out how I was going to be this sick, and take care of Alex. Luckily, about an hour into our morning my bosses offered to come get Alex for the day. Normally I would have said no. I'm a freak about who watches him, and him riding in the car with other people. He has only ever been watched by 3 different people, and never been in a car with anyone else, but there was nothing I could do. So I let him go and I spent the whole day in bed.
They dropped Alex back off about an hour before Joe got home. Joe got home just in time because Alex had another blow out just as Joe was pulling in. He is still having really bad diapers, but we are working on getting that under control. I spent all of Friday, and most of Saturday in bed, but I am up and feeling better now.

Alex has been a trooper during his first flu, but I have not handled mine as well. I have not had the flu since I was a little girl, thank goodness, and I hope to not ever have it again! *fingers crossed*
No comments:
Post a Comment