Alexander is four weeks old, and he will be 1 month old on Friday! It's so stupid that the weeks, and months don't line up! lol I am not sure which to go by. I think you go by weeks for a month or two, then switch to months. So, I will fill you in on our first month of having a baby in the home.
When we first brought him home it felt shocking! We didn't get to go through the discharge at the hospital, so it felt like we were bringing a 3 day old baby, home with no idea of what to do. I know how to change diapers, but did I need to change a newborns different? What about the cord? What about his circumcision? I had no idea how much he should be eating, or what was too much. He came home doing this "snorting" thing that made it sound like he could not breathe, was this normal? I hate using the "booger eater", and felt like I was hurting him. There were so many little questions that I wished I could have asked before we left. When we left we were told that we needed to take him to the pediatrician on Saturday. We had two offices that we were looking into and one does not have Saturday hours, and the other has Saturday hours for sick kids only. So we took him in the day after we brought him home. It was a Friday, and after 4pm they only take sick kids, but they were willing to see him that afternoon because of the "snorting". There I got to ask all those questions I had. They said that he looked wonderful. He was breathing just fine, but needs a little help getting the fluid out of his nose, that is still in there from the womb. Joe is pretty good with the "booger eater" so I let him do that when he is around. (Joe named it that).
He is a super eater!
First week: 3 ounces every 3 hours
Second week: 3.5 ounces every 3 hours
Third and Forth weeks: 4 ounces every 3 hours
His sleep goes up and down:
First week: He slept all day, would hang out around 1-2am (the time he was born), and he would go 4-5 hours between feeding at night.
Second week: He sleeps all day, and loves to hang out with his Daddy around 1am-4am. Once a night he will go 4-5 hours.
Third and Forth week: He is still trying to stay up in the middle of the night, but we are working on getting him in bed by midnight. He gets up every 3 hours all night now. No more 4-5 hour stretches at night! :( We are working on getting those back!
I make sure he gets dressed everyday, even if we are just staying home.
The first week he wore gowns at night, and got dressed during the day,
The first week he wore gowns at night, and got dressed during the day,
but newborn size was way too big.
The second week I switched him to sleep n plays at night. I don't like how long the sleeves are on the gowns, so I am over those! During the day he wears a lot of the clothes that we got from my nephew, who is now two. I think his newborn clothes were worn and washed a lot, so they have shrunk to a size that fits Alex.
The third week he is still wearing sleep and plays at night, and my nephews old clothes during the day.
The forth week he is still wearing sleep and plays at night, unless Joe dresses him. Joe puts him in the gowns, and has cut the sleeves short on a few of the gowns! During the day he is able to wear a few of the newborn outfits we have gotten for him. I love seeing him in different outfits, so I am thrilled that he is fitting into more.
He is such a good baby that he even likes baths! Wait......I wouldn't say "likes" but he doesn't mind them.......or he tolerates them! The first few baths were done at the sink and he did good. After his cord fell off I switched him to the bathtub, and he likes that. He sits and kicks his foot around in the water. It's cute.
The dogs were our biggest concern when we got our match. Well, Hero, our two year old, has been wonderful. he doesn't care too much about Alex. His barking is more annoying now. He doesn't bark more, it's just not what I feel like hearing when I am tired!
Baxter, our 1 year old, on the other hand is in love with Alex. We watches him all the time, and always has to know where he is. When Alex is in his crib, Baxter gets up in the glider and tries to see into the crib. When Alex is in the bassinet, Baxter sits and looks in on him. It looks like Lady, from Lady and the Tramp! He not only loves Alex, but he also loves Alex's stuff! Baxter has eaten 6 paci's and 2 bottle nipples! If you leave either of those two on the table, and walk away, for even a second, Baxter will take them!
Over all I would say the dogs are doing well consider they are not the babies anymore!
I think that covers it. -Pictures to be added later-
No comments:
Post a Comment