Monday, January 25, 2010

6 weeks old!

Alexander is 6 weeks old today!

Here is what he is up too:
Sleep: I am working on getting him on a good bedtime routine. There are a few things standing in the way of that. 1. My husband doesn't get home until 9:30 some nights, so he doesn't like me to put Alex to bed until after he gets home. We have a solution for this! My husbands last day at his current job is Friday! He is moving on, to a new job, doing the same thing. He will not be working late nights, or weekends anymore. He has had to work weekends all 7 years that we have been together so I am thrilled to have him home on weekends for the first time. Now we will both be working 8 to 5:30, Mon-Fri. This will be a great change for our family! 2. Alex still sleeps in his bassinet in our bedroom. I plan to move him to his room this weekend. He has slept in his crib for some naps, and has slept in there for the first half of the night a couple different times. 3. Our week schedule is not the same during the weekends. This is another thing I will need to work on, but at this point I still like to sleep in on the weekends, so Alex gets to sleep in too!

Our bed time routine goes something like this: On bath nights, I like to give him a bath, feed him his bottle, read to him, and put him to bed in his crib. On nights that he does not get a bath, we start out getting lotion on, then bottle, books, and bed. This is around 8-10 depending on the day. My husband gets him for the midnight feeding, which falls between 11-1. At that time he puts him in our room. The one thing that is good about Alex sleeping in the bassinet, and crib is that he sleeps well no matter where we put him. At work he sleeps in a pack and play, so we should not have to worry about him not sleeping when we travel.
Over all Alex is a good sleeper. He takes lots of naps through out the day, and he will go 4-5 hours, twice at night. One night, last week, he slept from 1:30 to 7am! My husband feeds him before he goes to bed, and I feed him when I wake up for work. It works well, and neither of us feels too sleep deprived!


Eating: Alex still eats a ton! During the week I wake him every three hours to feed him. I try to keep him eating every 3 hours, so that he will sleep well during the night. This seems to be working well. He eats 4 ounces every 3 hours. The last feeding of the day (around midnight) he gets 5 ounces. There are still times that he will not make it the 3 hours, and I will need to feed him a half hour early. On the weekends it gets thrown off a little. I am not as good about waking him every 3 hours. Sometimes it's because I am busy, or because I am sleeping also. I have to change it to work around whatever we are doing too. Like yesterday he was due to eat right in the middle of church, so I gave him 2 ounces to get him through church. It worked to get him through church, but he seemed a little off for the rest of the night. I plan to work harder at keep his weekends the same as his week.
Play: Alex is not a big fan of tummy time. He loved it when he was really little, but now he fights to roll over on to his back. He has not rolled over, but he has come pretty close. We thought he was going to do it the other night. He was rocking back and forth on his tummy and almost made it over. We still make him do 5 minutes, here and there, of tummy time everyday. Alex loves his bounce seat at my work, but is not a big fan of the one he has at home. The one at work is much nicer. I get why he likes it better! At home I put his seat by the window so he can look outside and have new things to look at. He has two activity mats, and prefers the one at work. Just another thing that is cooler then what we have at home. I put the play mat he has at home, in front of his closet doors ( which are mirrors) so he can look at himself while he plays.

The big change over the last week has been his smile! Alex started smiling at us a little over a week ago, and we LOVE it! This morning he was giving me some huge smiles! It is sooo cute.














Clothes: He is out growing most of his newborn clothes. It is so sad to put things away! This weekend I started his newborn Rubbermaid tub. I had to put the onesies in there, that I put on him for his 1, 2, 3, and 4 week pictures. That was sad! He still wears some of his newborn outfits even though they are a little snug, because the 0-3 months are still too big. I would rather have him in a shirt that is snug, then a shirt that he is swimming in.






Chuncky Monkey: Because we have not had to go to the doctor since he was 2 weeks old, I am not 100% sure what he weights, but on the scale at work it says he is between 12 and 12.5 pounds. He is a big boy!






Baths: He still loves baths, and I am giving him a bath twice a week now. I wouldn't mind giving him one everyday, and I know he would love it, but I am sure that would dry him right out. He seems to sleep so good on the nights that he has had a bath. Last night I took him out of his bath seat and I put one hand under his head, and one under his butt, and I let his float around in the water on his back. His head was in the water, but only to his ears, and chest down was under the water. He loved "swimming" around. he was kicking his legs, and moving his arms. It was so cute. I think we might have a water baby on our hands! I guess I better learn how to swim! :)






That is all that I can think of for now. I am at work so I don't have any pictures to add, but I will put those up tonight (if I have time). :)






1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear things are going so well. He is definitely getting big, I know what you mean about feeling sad when you have to put clothes he's outgrown away...:(
    I hope you post pics soon!

    ReplyDelete