Monday, January 17, 2011

"HI"

Alex is the most social toddler I have ever met in my life! It's almost a problem. Like when we are at the mall play area and he walks up to other kids parents and he says "hi" and wants to "talk" with them. Sadly, I say to Joe "He is just asking to be kidnapped"! I know that the chances that someone is going to try to take Alex, are slim to none. But to me this super adorable, red headed, social toddler is in high kidnapping demand! lol I laugh now that my kid is like this, because when I was a nanny and I would bring kids to the mall to play, I would always wonder what was wrong with those kids that would walk right up to me and say hi.

Today while we were shopping he was giving everyone big smiles and saying "HI" to anyone that looked twice at him. I wonder if a part of it has to do with the fact that everyone does look twice at Alex! Every single time we leave the house some one says something to us about Alex.
In 1 trip to the store today, 3 different people talked to me. (Now, I am not someone that likes to talk to strangers, so I am always caught off guard and never know how to react. Maybe that is why it bothers me. Joe laughs at me about how "shy" I am in public. Even if I see an old friend, or someone I went to school with, I will look down and walk as fast as I can. I just do not like uncomfortable small talk! ) The first person was a sweet older woman that Alex said "Hi" to. She told me what a beautiful baby boy I have, and I thanked her and just kept walking. To tell you the truth, I don't even think I looked up! I must have looked like a freak! lol The second was a guy that was restocking the salad bags. He wanted to know where Alex got his red hair from! This is a question we get asked every other time we are out, and I hate it! Yes, Alex is adopted and maybe his red hair stands out when his mom has brown hair, and his dad has black hair, but neither of his birth parents have red hair either! We really don't know where it comes from, but it feels stupid when I tell people that! Joe is much faster at coming up with an answer, but I fall flat every time! Today I responded with a stuttered "Your guess is as good as mine". And as soon as I said it, I wished I could take it back! He was very nice, and said "I can see a red tint in your hair, did you have red hair when you were a kid?" I said "yes", which isn't a lie! As soon as I was 13 I started dieing my hair red! lol But, I guess that's not what he meant! I'm not sure when I will ever get used to being asked where is red hair comes from, but I hope I will be able to come up with a good answer, and remember it for the next time!
The final lady, was just someone being nice in line behind me. She happened to notice that Alex was missing a shoe and she pointed it out to me. Luckily, it was sitting next to him in the cart. Then the lady went on about how cute he is, and his red hair, and blue eyes, and big cheeks. Don't get me wrong, it's nice hearing how cute your kid is, but I am just never sure what to say. I always thank them, but then what? I guess as long as I am going to take Alex into public I better get used to people wanting to tell me what a cutie I have! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment