Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Long story short.

When we were faced with infinitely right after our wedding in 2006 I don't think either of us was to surprised. I've heard from many woman, that it was something they had sensed before being told, and that was the case with me. I had always felt like it might be an issue, and I can not even tell you why I felt that way, I just did.

When we were first told we didn't know what we were going to do. At the time adoption seemed out of the question. I wanted to try everything I could first. If IVF was what we needed to do to have a baby, than that is what I wanted to do. A few years later that all changed. We had tried a handful of IUIs, and had no luck. IVF became more of an if to me, and I didn't know if I wanted to take that $10,000 chance. So we went on as us for awhile, and didn't really talk to much about it.

The day before Thanksgiving I lost my job. The husband, to the family I was a nanny for, got laid off, and that meant I was too. This came as a huge shock to me. I had never been fired, or been without a job, without having another one lined up to start. I spent the next month searching for a job, as well as doing some soul searching. I had always said that I would nanny until my child was in school. After that I would start my career, maybe in teaching. Well here it was seven years after I made that plan, and three years after I had planned to have a child. In an ideal world I would be getting my degree and moving on with life. Instead I was stuck on pause, except nothing was paused. Life was still moving on and I was still getting older. I do not see myself as a nanny in my 40s, or even in my 30s, so I had thought. This loss of a job made me realize that we needed to start getting things figured out. We needed to start living life to the fullest, and not just let it pass us by.

While chatting on the phone with Joe, about all of the stuff that I just wrote about, I mentioned that I would like to look into adoption. To my surprise he was on board. I had thought he would not be very excited about it, or at least hesitant, but he wasn't. That night I looked through the phone book, and online and I started calling all of the local adoption agencies.

I will write more about each of these steps later, but here is a quick run down of what happened after that.
The end of December: I picked our agency
January: I got an invite to an orientation
February: We went to orientation and filled out a pre-application
March: We took our four weeks of education classes, and got our full application
April: We filled out all of our paper work, got our fingerprints done, as well as our medical statements, and we handed in our all of our paperwork.
May: Our reference letters went out, and came back in and we set up our four meeting times.
June: We are having our home study meetings with the final one being tomorrow the 18th.

No comments:

Post a Comment