Saturday, October 31, 2009

5:43 is not 6!

I got lucky and was let out of work at 2:30 today. My boss was taking the girls to a Halloween party, and said I could go home and freak out until our meeting. On the way home I went to look at a crib and dresser set off from craigs list. It was just down the road from us, and Joe knew where I was going, so we didn't mind me going alone. I loved the set, and we will be picking it up on Sunday. The women even invited me to join the neighborhood mom's group that they have. In the group is a women who has adopted. I told her that I work a lot, but would love to do things on weekend and evenings. After that I headed home, but first I walked next door to tell the nice older couple, that we have become friends with, our news. They were very excited and I ended up staying over there and talking for almost an hour!

Naturally, I felt a panic after all the time I had wasted over at the neighbors. I started running around my house trying to let the dogs out, take a shower, let the dogs back in, blow dry my hair, curl my hair, put half my make-up on, straighten my hair, get Baxter out from under the spare bed; throw away the pen, hair clip, and glue stick he had found and taken under there; put more make-up on, get dressed, freak out because my nylons are a strange color, pick out jewelry to wear, sit down and see that it is only 5:05 and now I have to sit and wait until 5:50!
I did find things to do during that time. Mostly I messed with my hair. Then I made Joe stand up next to me and take about 15 pictures until we took one I liked. What do you think? Would you want us to parent a child you could not?

On the drive there, both Joe and I were freaking out! He said "OK, now I am nervous". I was shaking my hands, trying to get all my nerves out. I was laughing like a crazy person, and Joe was saying funny stuff that was making me laugh even harder. We were checking out every women on the street to see if it might be her. When we got there we both realized that we were really early. It was only 5:43, but we went in anyway.

Right away our SW came out and got us, and she took us back to a small room. I sat down in one corner, Joe in another and our SW in the other, and the door was in the other corner. It was a small room. There was an end table between Joe and I, and a rolling chair in front of me. She asked if we had any questions, and I'm sure we said we didn't, but I think I came up with a few. I can not remember what it was I asked. After a few minutes she said she was going to go see if the birth mom and her SW were ready. Before she left I requested a room with a table so that I could hid behind it, and so I could hid my shacking hands under it. She laughed and said that would be fine. We felt oddly calm after that and just waited. But as the minutes started to tick by, we were wondering what was taking so long. Joe tried to distract me by playing eye spy with a crazy picture that was hanging next to me. The same picture he asked me to fix right after our SW left, because it was hanging so crocked. Joe also kept messing with a lamp that was on the table next to him. He would plug it in, because he could not find the switch, and I would tell him to unplug it because it was too bright. We did that a couple of times. Every time we could see some one walk past we would sit up straight, then crack up laughing at our self. 23 minutes later our SW came back and said that the birth mom was running late. It turned out she could not find a sitter so she would be bringing her kids with her. *(This is something that I did not share with you before, but yes, she has two small children right now)* About 10 minutes after that our SW came back with the smaller of the two children and lead us down to where everyone else was waiting. I first saw the other child, then the birth mom's SW (who we had not met before) and then I saw her, Our Birth Mom!

This part is really hard for me to write about, because I am really up in the air about how much information I want to share on here, as long as I have it public. So here is what I am willing to share right now and if you have any questions feel free to ask, and if I feel comfortable I will answer your question.

We all sat down and the birth mom got out a folder and put it in front of her on the table. She looked at us and said "I want to tell you about him". I looked at Joe and looked back at her, I wondered if she meant the birth dad, and then she said "Yep, your having a boy. He will be here before Christmas, and here is a picture of your son" and she put the u/s picture in from of us!

I broke down! I started crying so hard, but was able to gather myself quickly. After that everything went really smooth. We knew she wanted to talk to us about baby names so we figured she had something in mind. We were not sure how to handle this situation, but we had been told to be open to what every she might suggest and it's always a nice gesture to offer her the middle name. When she asked if we had any names picked out, we said no. We really did, but we wanted to leave it open to talk about with her. She said OK and offered us her baby name books. So we asked her if she had any ideas and she said "no, it's your kid". We were a little shocked, so we did tell her that we had always liked Alexander. She said she likes more unusual names, but it was really up to us. We did not have a middle name picked out, so we told her she could have the middle name if she had something really special for him. She said she could not think of anything, but she would let us know. We talked for about an hour total. She invited me to her next appointment and we exchanged numbers. I said I would call her the next day and let her know about the appointment.

Joe and I left feeling awesome about everything, and we ran to the store and bought a couple of blue things, and a shirt that says My First Christmas! I can not wait to have Alexander home in just a couple of short weeks!






*Sorry. This post is not as good as I wanted it to be, but I am writing this on Saturday Morning, and I have told the story so many times I know I am starting to leave things out. I may bring more things up about this visit in the future, or you can ask question. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment