*First off: I do plan on giving our birth mom a name that I will use when talking about her on my blog, but I have not come up with anything yet, so in the mean time I will keep calling her "birth mom"*
I was a little worried about asking for the time off to go to the doctors appointment on Thursday. I did not want my boss to think this was going to become an issue, or that maybe it's not such a good idea to let me bring the baby to work with me in the future. We had talked about the adoption here and there, but never sat down and talked about how things would be. Too my surprise they were more then willing to give me time off to go to appointments, and even offered me as much time off as I need when Alex does come! They said they had already been talking to people to make the arrangements so that I can be off for a few weeks! I was so surprised when they said it and even asked "Are you sure I am going to still have my job, when I come back". lol They said for sure. They did not have any doubts about the situation! I am so grateful to have such an opportunity to be able to take time off, and bring the baby to work with me when we are ready! My boss is so excited for it to be a baby boy that she even went out shopping on Friday and had a gift bag of stuff for me (for Alex) when she got home. She got him a golden book about adoption. It is so sweet and I highly recommend it to all adopting families. She also got him a stuffed dog, a sleeper blanket, and a bunch of clothes. I am truly blessed. (not just by having them, but also all of our other family and friends who have been so supportive through this whole process)
I was so excited to call our birth mom Friday night and give her the news that I could go, if she still wanted me to. I wanted to wait until Joe got home so he could listen too, but he was running late so I went ahead and called her. I didn't want her to wonder all night, and it was already going on 6. She seemed surprised when I called. She must not have put my number in her phone and wondered who was calling. She seemed happy after finding out it was me. I told her I could go, and she gave me all the information as far as where it was at. We agreed that her SW worker should be there too, since it was our first time doing this outside of the office. After that she told me she had thought of a middle name. If we wanted to use it, but that we did not have to. She said she would give him her dad's first name, as Alex's middle name. I said I liked it. I told her that we had thought about it that night too and that we thought Alexander Joseph, might be cute so he could go by AJ. Well, she loved that, but then I felt really bad! I told her we might give him two middle names, and still use her dad's name. She said it was up to us. After that we talked a little about how it will go when she has the baby. I said that as happy as I am for us, I will be so sad for her. I told her that I wanted to have open communication and that if she needs to me leave the room, she can tell me, and if she needs me to hold her hand, she should be able to ask for that. She said that was nice and that she knows it is going to be hard when he is here, but this is what she has to do. She said it helps to remind herself that she is giving us our family, and I thought that was sweet. Then I said it..........I came out and asked her how she knows she will not change her mind. She said for a list of a million reasons, she just can't. I know there is still that 1% chance, but I feel really good about this situation! Of course I have to guard my heart some, but I would not say I have an ounce of doubt in my body! After that we talked about other stuff to do with the hospital. Because she has done this twice before and I have not, she told me how things work there, and told me we should be taking to our pediatrician. It was nice of her to help me like that. I told her I would like to call her at least once a week and check on her, and she said that sounded great. She even said we could call her at 4am if we needed to talk! She is so cute. I told her the same and we hung up.
I can not wait to go to the appointment on Thursday. It is going to be crazy to hear his heartbeat! Oh, we also talked about seeing if we can get another ultrasound. She wants us to experience that. We talked about paying for one if they will not do another one for us for free. I think that would be really cool to see that. So now the wait is on for Thursday! Always such a waiting game with adoption! But I am loving it!
We gave G two middle names for the same reason. Our BM actually named our ds at the hospital. Once we changed it, we kept the first name she gave him as a middle.
ReplyDelete